Whether you are brand new to exercise or you are a seasoned pro, you can benefit from adding the best exercise bands to your workout.
I have worked as a personal trainer for over 20 years, and I am a huge fan of resistance bands. They're perfect when I work with people in their homes. And I find that beginners have an easier time with the exercise bands than they do with weights.
And before you start thinking that bands are wimpy, you better think again!
Believe it or not, the best exercise bands can give you a better workout than even free weights or machines. Yes, really!
Are the Best Exercise Bands as Good as Free Weights?
The best exercise bands are just as good as free weights when it comes to resistance training. In some ways, exercise bands actually make you work harder.
If you are doing bicep curls with 10-pound weights, no matter where you are in the range of motion you will still be curling 10 pounds.
On the other hand, when you use exercise bands, you are getting variable resistance. That means that you will be curling a different weight depending on where you are in the movement.
For example, when you start the curl you are lifting 10 pounds, but by the time that you get your hand up close to your shoulder you are lifting more like 20 pounds. The more the band stretches, the harder your muscles will have to work.
The benefits of exercise bands
The top 10 benefits of using the best exercise bands include:
What Are the Different Types of Exercise Bands?
In the fitness industry, we use the term exercise bands to describe several different things. In this article, we looked at rubber tubing and mini loop bands. You can use both of them to tone up your entire body, but they work in slightly different ways.
First, the exercise bands that you often see people putting around their ankles or thighs are what we call loop bands. We also sometimes call them mini bands or mini loops. Most of them are around two inches thick, and they look like giant rubber bands. Unlike tubing, loops are a full continuous circle that you slip over your feet or hands.
The video below will show you some of the exercises that you can do with mini loops.
The second kind of exercise band that we are going to look at today is what we call tubing. These types of exercise bands are long hollow rubber tubes with handles on each end.
The best exercise bands on our list this year allow you to use the tubing individually or combine them to add more resistance. Tubing sets also come with ankle straps and door anchors so that you can use them for many different exercises.
The video below will show you some exercises that you can do with tubing.
How Much Do the Best Exercise Bands Cost?
The best exercise bands range in price somewhat, but they are all pretty affordable. The exercise band sets on our list this year range in price from $5 to $45.
Our Review Process
This was an independent review of the best exercise bands on the market. In our review process, we researched professional and consumer reviews. We also compared the features and price of each set. We have no business or financial ties to any of the manufacturers on our list.
The Top 7 Best Exercise Bands on the Market Today
In no particular order, here are our favorite picks for the best exercise bands this year.
Bodylastics Resistance Bands Set
- UPDATE - Named BEST Resistance Bands by The Wirecutter, A New York Times Company (04-02-2020). 14 PCS MAX TENSION XT - This set comes with 6 Anti-Snap bands (Yellow: 3 lbs, Green: 5 lbs, Red: 8 lbs, Blue: 13 lbs, Black: 19 lbs, Purple: 23 lbs); 2 Heavy Duty Handles; 2 Heavy Duty Ankle Straps; 1 Door Anchors; 1 Small Anywhere Anchor; 1 Carrying bag; 1 Instructional Resource.
- PATENTED ANTI-SNAP SAFETY DESIGN - Every Bodylastics band incorporates our amazing Snap Guard inner safety cord. This amazing cord is super strong. It will prevent damage to the bands from over stretching, and protects your face and body in the rare case that a band does snap.
- 142 LBS STACKABLE RESISTANCE - Bodylastics Clip Bands enable the user to add or subtract resistance to create the perfect challenge for every muscle group. Utilize and combine all of the bands in this set to create from 3 to 142 lbs! Our bands work just like stackable plate loaded machines.
- GUARANTEED PROFESSIONAL GRADE QUALITY - Our tube band systems incorporate the highest quality, continuous dipped, Malaysian natural latex, super strong inner safety cords, nylon & ABS cores, woven nylon webbing, solid iron clips, and dense neoprene. You get Professional Grade quality at a non-professional price.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE We're SO confident that you'll love this Bodylastics System that we offer a 100% Money Back Guarantee. Try this Bodylastics product RISK FREE. If it is not everything that we claim send it back within 30 days for a full refund.
The New York Times' Wirecutter named Bodylastics the safest and best exercise bands on the market in 2017. And with good cause. This tubing is unique in that it features a patented anti-snap safety design.
Each of these bands incorporates a super strong inner safety cord that will prevent damage to the exercise band from overstretching. This technology also protects you in the rare event that the band snaps.
This set comes with 14 pieces including 6 different 48-inch bands ranging in resistance from 3 to 23 pounds. You can stack the bands to increase your tension up to 142 pounds.
This set also comes with two handles, two ankle straps, two anchors, and a carrying bag. Another great thing about this set is that it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee if you don't like it.
One of the reasons that it made our list of the best exercise bands this year is because it gets killer professional and consumer reviews.
People consistently comment on the superior quality of these bands. Another big plus is that you can purchase separately additional tubes at higher tensions. Most people love this set, but some complained that the warranty doesn't last long enough. If you break or damage the tubing after the warranty period, Bodylastics will replace them.
Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Bands
- High end exercise bands. Our 12″ by 2″ heavy duty resistance loop bands are made of 100% natural latex – free of TPE – and come in 5 varying resistance levels. This makes them perfect whether you are just starting to workout or a seasoned workout warrior.
- Great with any workout. This resistance band set can be integrated seamlessly with every popular workout program including Yoga, Pilates, and more. Or use them for general exercise, stretching, strength training, power weight programs.
- Multiple uses. These resistance bands are often used for sports and fitness, physical therapists love these physical therapy bands to help them rehabilitate their patients. Our stretch bands work for people suffering from leg, knee and back injuries.
- Superior quality. Our exercise resistance bands are easy on skin. The instruction booklet includes illustrated exercises that demonstrate how to use our resistance bands.
- What you get: original USA designed exercise bands with color-coded resistance levels, portable travel carry bag and instruction guide.
Our next contender for the best exercise bands this year goes to Fit Simplify. These heavy-duty loop bands are high quality and measure 12 inches by 2 inches. And they come from 100 percent non-toxic natural latex which won't pinch your skin. This set comes with five different mini bands that range from extra light (2 to 4 pounds) to extra heavy (25 to 30 pounds). This set also comes with a small carrying bag and instructions.
One of the things that we love about this set is that it comes with a lifetime money-back guarantee. If you're not happy with them or if any of them break, Fit Simplify will give you your money back.
Another thing that we love about this set is that it is very affordable. These bands get excellent professional and consumer reviews too.
Most people love these bands, especially the fact that each loop is hand-tested before they sell them. People also commented that these bands don't have a rubber smell. One complaint about this set is that it doesn't offer enough resistance if you're very advanced. But for most people, this set provides plenty of tension.
Letsfit Resistance Loop Bands
- 5 Resistance Bands Include: Made from 100% natural latex. Comes in 5 different resistance strength levels: X-Light, Light, Medium, Heavy and X-Heavy. They're suitable for beginner or a seasoned workout sportsman
- Efficient Workout: Loop Resistance Bands increase the effectiveness of your exercises. Used for a range of workouts, from glute and hip activation, strength techniques to integrate seamlessly with every workout program such as Yoga, Pilates,etc.
- Multifunctional: The resistance band set can be used to exercise all parts of muscles such as arms, chest, abdomen, glutes and legs, also good for Physical Therapy, Recovery or to increase Mobility.
- Gym-in-your-pocket: The exercise bands take up little space so that you can use them at home or carry on the way, such as in office, on a vacation, even can squats while watching TV at home.
- What's Included: 5 exercise loop bands with color-coded resistance levels, portable carry bag and instructions manual.
The next spot on our list of the best exercise bands this year goes to Letsfit. These mini loop bands are very similar to the Fit Simplify bands. They are 100 percent natural latex that is odor-free and non-toxic. The Letsfit set also comes with five loops that range from very light (5 to 10 pounds) to very heavy (30 to 40 pounds). The bands measure 12 inches by 2 inches.
One unique thing about this set is that you can order your bands in the colors of your choice. Like the other sets that we've discussed so far, this one comes with a money back guarantee. Letsfit offers a 60-day policy saying they will replace or refund if you don't like the bands or if any of them break.
The Letsfit mini bands are very affordable. And they get excellent reviews.
Compared to the Fit Simplify bands, the Letsfit loops offer more resistance. One complaint about them is that they can roll while you're using them, especially the very light loops.
UPOWEX Resistance Bands Set
UPOWEX takes the next spot on our list of the best exercise bands. This heavy-duty snap-resistant tubing is eco-friendly and 100 percent natural latex. And UPOWEX has double layered each exercise band for safety and durability.
This set comes with five 46-inch exercise bands that have 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 pounds of tension. You can use them separately, or you can combine them for up to 150 pounds.
This set also comes with two handles, one door anchor, two ankle straps, and a waterproof carrying bag. Another great thing about this set is that UPOWEX offers a lifetime warranty if you don't like it or if any of the bands break.
The UPOWEX bands are very similar to the Bodylastic resistance bands, but they don't cost as much. Of all of the best exercise bands on our list this year, the UPOWEX gets the highest consumer reviews.
One frequent complaint about tubing sets is that they don't offer enough resistance. You won't find that complaint with the UPOWEX set. Most people rave about these bands. But a few complained that their exercise bands broke. Fortunately, UPOWEX's lifetime warranty covered them.
Black Mountain Products Resistance Band Set
- Bands included: Yellow (2-4 lbs.), blue (4-6 lbs.), green (10-12 lbs.), black (15-20 lbs.) and Red (25-30 lbs.). All bands are 48 inches in length
- This stackable set of resistance bands can produce up to 75 lbs
- Features a metal clipping System on bands for attachment to soft-grip handles or ankle straps
- Includes a door anchor, exercise chart, carrying bag, ankle strap and starter guide
- All Black Mountain Products come with a manufacturer's Lifetime Warranty
If you are a beginner or brand new to resistance training, then the Black Mountain set is perfect for you. This tubing doesn't offer as much resistance as the other best exercise bands, making it ideal for newbies, seniors, and women.
This set comes with 5 different 40-inch bands that range from 2 pounds to 30 pounds. Like the other exercise bands, you can use these separately, or you can use them together for up to 75 pounds in total. For some comparison, the UPOWEX set we just looked at can go up to 150 pounds.
In addition to the bands, this set also comes with two handles, an ankle strap, a door anchor, and a carrying bag.
Compared to the other best exercise bands on our list, the Black Mountain set is on the more pricey side depending on where you buy it. But like the others, it gets killer professional and consumer reviews.
Most people love these bands, mainly because they're lighter than most of the other exercise bands on the market. One complaint about them is that they can show wear and tear after a lot of use. Fortunately, Black Mountain offers a lifetime manufacturer's warranty so you can get your money back or replace your tubing if it breaks.
Odoland Resistance Bands Set
- MULTIPLE USES: 11pcs high quality resistance bands kit & 4pcs loop bands. Not only for daily fitness workout but also supportive during recovery from leg, knee or back injuries (torn MCL and ACL, knee replacement, patella and meniscus rehab). Suitable for women during pregnancy and to keep their body in shape after birth.
- UPGRADED PREMIUM QUALITY: Made of highest quality premium natural latex and thread count Nylon, the bands serve long time and provide the maximum resistance. Upgraded handlers, Thick ankle straps, clear weight indication and durable grommets, we are trying our best for your super training experience!
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE: 5 bands included: yellow- 5 Lbs, blue- 10 Lbs, green- 15 Lbs, black- 20 Lbs, red- 25 Lbs, with total resistance weight of 75 Lbs. you can adjust the intensity of your bands to suit personal goals. Perfect for all whether beginners or expert, man, women or children.
- MULTIPLE CHOICE WORKOUT: With attachable soft handles, ankle straps, door anchor, you can choose different training method for building strength. With carry bag and exercise guidance, do exercise in or outside gym!
- MORE THAN GUARNTEE: Offer a better than money back guarantee, if there any issue with your product for quality reason, we will refund you or send you a new one.
If you can't decide whether you want to get mini bands or tubing, Odoland offers the best of both worlds. This set comes with 5 different exercise bands: 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 pounds which you can combine for a total of 75 pounds. And on top of that, it also comes with 4 mini loop bands: 10, 20, 30, and 40 pounds.
In addition to the nine bands, the Odoland set also comes with two handles, two ankle straps, a door anchor, and a carrying bag. The tubing in this set is longer than the other tubing sets, measuring 55 inches before you add the handles. Another great thing about this set is that it comes with a lifetime manufacturer's warranty. Odoland will refund or replace any bands that break.
Considering that this set is basically two in one, it is very affordable. The Odoland set gets excellent professional and consumer reviews.
This set is ideal for beginners and seniors. Most people love this set, but some complained about the smell. Others complained that the mini loops broke too quickly. As I said with the other best exercise bands sets, the company will refund or replace any bands that you break.
Fit Via Fabric Resistance Bands Set
- 🎯 WHILE OTHER RESISTANCE BANDS are painful and roll up during exercise, aren’t stretchable enough or they just break after a few workouts, the Fit Viva Fabric Bands are made of SOFT & DURABLE polyester to PROTECT your skin and never INTERRUPT your workout. Our Exclusive Booty Bands provide the DESIRED tension for any difficulty level and allow you to easily TRACK your progress. The PREMIUM materials are extra-durable and that’s why we offer Lifetime Warranty. – WE VALUE YOUR PRIORITIES!
- 🏋️🍑 ALWAYS BE A WORK IN PROGRESS – You want to UPGRADE your glutes workout, HAVE stronger legs, hips & booty or just PREVENT injuries by fully warming up before CrossFit or fitness training. We designed the MOST EFFICIENT fabric hip bands for your unique needs. Thanks to the SMOOTH fabric material and VARIETY of lengths, the Resistance Bands will INCREASE your strength, mobility, stamina and physical appearance QUICKER than traditional workout routines. – BE THE BEST VERSION OF YOURSELF!
- 👪 OUR MISSION IS TO MAKE WORKING OUT FUN AGAIN – We are real people who use our fitness products every day. We expect the best for our family and want the same for you. That’s why our Thick Fitness Bands as seen on TV won’t ever hurt your skin or roll up on your thighs providing a COMFORTABLE way to IMPROVE your workout WITHOUT spending a fortune on complicated machines. You can use it for Insanity, Pilates, CrossFit, Beachbody or Booty Workouts. – IT’S NEVER BEEN EASIER!
- 🎁 A PERFECT GIFT FOR AN ACTIVE FRIEND! If you are looking for an amazing gift that has that innovative WOW factor, then your friend will love the Exclusive Fitness Booty Bands. The SLEEK design and neutral colors make it perfect for women and men while it`s size allow you to get in a GREAT workout even if you a beginner or a pro athlete. We included a FREE 30-Day Challenge ebook and a carry bag, so you can take it ANYWHERE. Everything comes in a DELUXE gift box.
- 💯 ONLY THE BEST FOR YOU… We pride ourselves on providing only 100% Professionally Tested products and amazing UNITED STATES based customer support for our AMBITIOUS community. We created the 2019 Fabric Hip Bands with EXCEPTIONAL CARE to provide the MOST EFFICIENT but enjoyable workout experience. Add your Thick Fitness Bands to cart with total peace of mind, knowing that if you aren’t 110% happy with your purchase, we’ll provide you a FULL Refund.
Our final contender for the best exercise bands this year goes to Fit Via. This set of mini loops is a little different from the others. First of all, these soft bands aren't latex; they're durable polyester fabric. The material assures that the loops won't roll while you're using them.
This set is smaller than the other best exercise bands sets on our list; it comes with just three loops and a carrying bag. The bands are larger than the other mini loops on our list. They measure 3.5 inches wide and 13, 15, and 17 inches long. The resistance on the three bands are about the same; the only difference is the size of the loop so you can find the one that fits your body best.
Considering that this set only comes with three bands, it's a bit on the expensive side. But it gets incredible reviews.
Most people really love these bands, especially the fact that they stay in place while you're working out with them. One complaint is that the loops are too large if you have a petite frame. Another complaint about them is that they don't come in different tensions.
One Last Thing About the Best Exercise Bands
We highly recommend all of the sets on our list, but if you twisted my arm and made me pick the overall best exercise bands, I would have to go with the UPOWEX set. It gets the highest expert ratings from personal trainers, and it comes with plenty of tension.
If you are struggling with choosing between getting tubing or loops, I would suggest either going with the Odoland set which includes both types of bands or just go with one of the tubing sets. You can modify the tubing to make it into a loop. Just tie the ends together and use it in the same way that you would a mini band.
Now we want to hear from you! Let us know in the comments section below why you like using exercise bands. And share with our readers if you have any useful tips for newbies.
Have a great day!
Featured Image Source: Pexels.com